Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pet Food Recall

So by now I'm sure you've all heard about the massive pet food recall by Menu Foods, which includes wet food under Eukanuba, Iams and Nutro brands. We have been feeding Corrina the Nutro Natural Choice pouches for at least 6 months, with the odd Eukanuba & Iams pouch thrown in for variety. Needless to say I am fairly wigged! We went through the cupboards and don't have any of the recalled products, but who knows how many of the suspect packages we may have fed her unknowingly? These things have been on the shelves since December at the places where we shop. I threw out any that were manufactured around the same date (we had a few that were made the next day or the day before), but now I don't feel comfortable feeding ANY of them to her.

Am I over-reacting? I just don't have any confidence in the manufacturers anymore. Are they not taking the precautions they should because it's "just dog & cat " food? Here I thought I was being a good puppy momma by spending the extra 10-20 cents a pouch to get brands that are supposedly more nutritious... would I have been better off with Alpo?

I am really upset about this. We don't have children, may never be able to have children, and these animals are our babies!

I'm seriously considering making her food myself from now on. I found a couple of good articles online about it. I will have to discuss it with my vet. (sigh)

As if life isn't stressful enough!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! We feed Trinity Diamond dog food, which a few months (a year?) ago had it's own recall. It wasn't her "formula" but I was freaked none the less! We don't have 2 legged kids either - and who's to say our 4 legged kid is any less important?

Glad ya liked the DNA link! Thanks for letting me know =)