Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Generational Icon, Or How Do You Like Your Fish Heads

Ok. I need you all to settle a debate between my hubby and I. This morning on the way to work, somehow, the song Fish Heads by Barnes & Barnes (which included Billy Mummy from Lost In Space) came up in conversation. My honey thinks that this song is a "generational icon" for those of us born in the mid60s-mid70s. I disagree and contend that, although it is a pervasive novelty song, most people born in that era probably don't even know it.

So, this is my question to you. Were you previously aware of this song, Fish Heads, and if so would you consider it an iconic song?


I blame this debate on NPR. If they weren't in the middle of fund drive I could have been listening to the news!

5 comments:

Christy said...

I'm 25 and I know the song Fish Heads, thanks to a Dr Demento CD of my father's.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I learned it in camp. Every once and a while my sister and I will belt it out because we can. :)

Denise said...

Totally an iconic song...both I (born in 1966) and E (born in 1970...raised in RUSSIA, I might add!) know this song. I remember it being popular in high school (early 80s). E is a total Dr. Demento fan.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's an icon. I learned it from a group of high school friends, which probably included my husband, now that I think about it. He, too, was a Dr. Demento fan.

Redford Phyl said...

Well, I was born in the mid 40's, listened to Dr Demento when he was actually on local radio 30 years ago, and I love that stupid song. I got hooked on that kind of music listening to Spike Jones and his City Slickers when I was growing up.