Tuesday, March 29, 2005
In knitting news, I got a little more done on the first of my sister's sox. I have about 1" left before I begin the toe shaping. Unfortunately I don't have much time to knit right now, what with packing & cleaning. :(
Anyways... I will probably be MIA until sometime next week because my home pc is being packed up tonight & I don't know how long it will take for it to get connected at the new place.
Dont forget me!! ;)
Thursday, March 24, 2005
Are you up to the MeMe challenge? Here's a different take on the MeMe, whereby you put your answers in the comments section of my blog. When you are through, copy-paste the MeMe to your blog, and I'll stop by and do the MeMe for you! I will post the answers to everyone's three questions. . .
A. First, recommend to me:
1. A movie:
2. A book:
3. A musical artist, song, or album:
B. Ask me three questions, no more, no less. You may ask me anything you want, but I can decline to answer anything which makes me uncomfortable.
C. Copy and paste this in your blog.
All this hassle made me throw myself into my knitting last night & I currently have about 12" completed on the Irish Hiking Scarf. I know some of you are anxious for pics, but the camera appears to have been packed so you will have to wait until after April 1st! (sorry)
Anyway, all I can do is thank god for knitting or I would probably have spontaneously combusted!
Done venting now.
Feel much better! :)
Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Honey really likes it, so maybe it will be for him even though its being knit to promote heart disease awareness for women... I will have to see. I am hoping to do the variation on a frill for this as well, since the kal doesn't end until december. If that turns out well I am thinking of donating it or auctioning it with proceeds going to WomenHeart.
Monday, March 21, 2005
I finally finished spinning up the ruby merino & plyed it last night. Now I just need to wait for it to dry & I can finally cast-on for the Knit Red KAL I will definitely have enought to do the Irish Hiking Scarf & omg! is this stuff scrumptious!
Of course, pics will eventually be posted.... (did I pack the camera already??)
Saturday, March 19, 2005
the manolo no-poncho pledge
"i, kim, swear on the head and/or the grave of my sainted granny to never wear, buy, knit, crochet, or fashion from the old throw rug, the poncho. and if the poncho it is given to me as the gift, i will graciously thank the giver and then, when she has left, put the poncho into the dog's bed and/or the trash as the case she may be. only by doing these things faithfully can i help end for the good of the humanity the scourge that is the poncho."
In other news, saw Ring Two last night. AWFUL! complete crap! Stay away! Beware! Sure, I new that the odds were against it, being #2 in a series means that its going to be crap. (for excepts to this rule see Empire Strikes Back & Aliens) But still, the only thing it achieved was to make me miss Seattle, what with its sweaping panoramas of the sound & evergreens, not to mention all the wonderful architecture.. sigh.
Got a few more rows done on sis' sock. Probably won't get much knitting done today. We move in just under 2 weeks & I have tons of packing to do!
Friday, March 18, 2005
On to knitting news. I didn't finish the sock last night as hoped. I got a few more rows done & then my wrist started acting up , so I set it aside. I decided to switch to spinning & am almost finished with the ruby merino!
I have been trying to decide what to make with it & have finally settled on a pattern. I have been admiring Mel's Irish Hiking Scarf & finally looked at the pattern. Only 350yds! I can totally do that with the merino! Oh won't that be a treat! Woo hoo. I think the variation on a frill will just have to wait a little longer...
Thursday, March 17, 2005
On the plus side I did get the heel & gusset finished on the first sock for my sister & should finish it up tonight! Woo hoo! :)
Wednesday, March 16, 2005
1. I am utterly in love with my husband.
2. We will celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary in July.
3. We have no children.
4. I have been struggling with infertility for 7 yrs.
5. Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS.
6. 6mo ago I was diagnosed with Metabolic syndrome.
7. I need to lose about 80lbs.
8. I wore a size 5 when I graduated from High School.
9. I wear a size 20 now.
10. I have a very difficult time making friends.
11. I only really have 4 friends: Brian, Joanne, Kris (my husband) & Dawn (my sister)
12. I have an anxiety disorder.
13. I am terrified that I will turn into my mother.
14. My mother has severe rheumotoid arthritis & has been in & out of the hospital since I was 12yrs old.
15. When I was younger I wanted to be an actress.
16. I majored in Theater for a short time.
17. I have dropped out of college 3 times.
18. I currently am 20 credits shy of a degree & have no desire to finish.
19. My last major was Psychology.
20. I think most of it is crap.
21. I want to own a yarn store.
22. I want to make a living selling my own yarns & knits.
23. I don't think this will ever happen.
24. I don't believe in my skills.
25. I have wanted to join a local spinning guild for 4 years but am too afraid to go to the meetings.
26. I am afraid everyday.
27. I love my niece Autumn as if she were my own child.
28. I miss my friends terribly since they have moved to Seattle.
29. I love horror movies.
30. I love to laugh.
31. My favorite musician is Tom Waits.
32. I love fantasy books & movies.
33. I once made my own renaissance garb.
34. It is the only article of clothing I have sewn for myself that didn't fall apart.
35. I am addicted to Tea.
36. It is all I drink.
37. When I was 8 I was diagnosed with nerve damage to my ears & can't hear high frequencies.
38. I have a slight lisp that is very pronounced when I meet new people or am nervous.
39. I had to wear corrective shoes as a toddler because my feet were turned inwards.
40. I love my mother & miss the relationship I had with her when I was young.
41. I can't stand to be around her now.
42. Its because of her illness.
43. I hate myself for that.
44. I am having a hard time thinking of a hundred things! LOL
45. I am a natural blonde & I am intelligent!
46. I am a liberal.
47. I am a democrat.
48. I HATE Bush.
49. I am against the war in Iraq.
50. I support our troops.
51. I was raised Catholic.
52. I don't believe in religion.
53. I do believe in a higher being.
54. I consider myself Agnostic.
55. I am terrified by the direction this country is moving.
56. I believe we should have socialized medicine.
57. I believe most americans think too highly of themselves.
58. I believe most americans are ignorant & easily fooled.
59. I sometimes wish I was born in Canada.
60. I am pro-choice.
61. I am pro-adoption.
62. I believe our country spends far too much on war and not enough on education.
63. I believe the Daily Show is the only non-biased news source on TV.
64. This scares me.
65. I procrastinate far too much.
66. I hate housework.
67. of the 7 deadly sins, I am Sloth.
68. Ethically I wish I could be a vegetarian.
69. I love the taste of red meat.
70. My husband hates vegetables.
71. I am afraid I will die of a heart attack.
72. I don't speak to my fathers family.
73. I don't miss them.
74. They never liked let alone loved me.
75. They hate my mother.
76. My father is a different person around his family.
77. I don't like that person.
78. My father was a firefighter for 20yrs.
79. I am very proud of him.
80. I am sad for the way his life has turned out.
81. I am envious of my sister.
82. She has always been surrounded by friends & love.
83. I don't understand why I have not.
84. She is envious of me.
85. Because of my husband.
86. I don't know why my husband hasn't left me.
87. I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon.
88. I am a geek.
89. I believe in the supernatural.
90. I believe in extraterestrials.
91. I don't believe aliens have ever been here, or are likely ever to be here.
92. I believe in Tarot readings as psyhological tools, not as predictors of future events.
93. I don't believe people who think they are psychic.
94. I am a skeptic who wants to believe.
95. I loved x-files (can't you tell)
96. I hate romance novels, soap operas & chick flicks.
97. Except for Meg Ryan movies.
98. I love british comedy.
99. I like true crime shows.
100. I am so glad this is finished. LOL
I'm using Sockotta by Plymouth yarns which is a Cotton/Wool/Nylon blend & should wear well. I am almost done with the heel flap & should turn the heel tonight. Isn't the color fun? My hubby (Kris) called it "Happy Socks". LOL They certainly are!
In other news, yesterday I went upstairs to discover my oldest boy Barnum indulging in string licking...
He seems to love the metalic tang of the steel string guitars, because he only does this on the steel & electric guitars! LOL Drives honey crazy..
So, while I took a pic of Barnum I decided it was unfair to only highlight him, so for your kitty pleasure here are the others...
This is our eldest, Klio. She is quite the daddy's girl & it has taken her 10 yrs to warm up to me, but finally accepts me. Here she is looking her aloof best. Poor thing is starting to decline at age 17 & has recently exhibited signs of senelity. :(
Here is Keetcha, our other "biddy kitty". She is 17 as well & is technically my MIL's cat. We have been watching her for over a year & she will be returning home to her mommy soon. This will be hardest on our youngest, Windle, who is quite attached to her.. She beats him up all the time (she likes em young, LOL) Here are a couple pics of their "Harold & Maude" relationship.
Windle is just over 3yrs old & entered our lives shortly after the passing of my FIL. He is quite the scamp & is extremely affectionate.. he's my little baby!
This is Bailey, Barnum's twin sister. They will be 8 in May. She is highly neurotic, quite stupid & very sweet.
Lastly, 2 pics of our pretty boy Arlo. He is a big boy. 30lb Maine Coon, about 5 yrs old. The second pic is him playing body guard to the water dish.. this always cracks me up!
So there are my babies. All were rescue kitties except for Barnum & Bailey, who were from a friend's cat's litter.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Sunday, March 13, 2005
Ok, so here is what it all looks like!
First off, the bleached silk..
And the raw leicester...
Now, here is the dyed silk...
And the dyed leicester...
Here is a pic of them together.
And a pic of the merino that was bought predyed.(This one is a little dark)
The silk didn't absorb as much dye as the wool, but thats okay. It will spin up with dark red, pink & white spots that should compliment the wool nicely. Of course I will post pics once I get everything spun!
Saturday, March 12, 2005
Friday, March 11, 2005
I have 3lbs of Blue-faced Leicester that I am painting & it will eventually be used for a sweater FOR ME! :)
This was my first time dyeing with Jacquard dyes & I was very impressed by the vibrancy of the colors. I used the technique outlined by Laurie on Yarn Harlot's Blog
So, here is the yummy fleecey bits before...
Ok.. from now on its all new stuff! Woo hoo!
Thursday, March 10, 2005
You have entered the Handspin Zone... (do di do do, do di do do..)
(Can you tell hubby just got the first season of TZ on dvd?) ;)
Item #1 Handspun Merino/Silk Blend French Market Bag
Item #2 Handpainted/Spun 100% Merino Hat (Ann Norling Pattern)
Item #3 Handspun 100% Mohair heating pad (insert made of rice & dried ginger mmmm)
That concludes tonights episode. Good night.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005
Here are a couple pics I took that I had a mind to use as headers.. maybe one of you lovely people out there.. (ugh hm, kitt, ugh hm) could help me figure out what the heck to do! :)
Any thoughts? Comments? HELP!
btw- sorry so image ladden
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
So I could either try to figure out how to archive my livejournal blog here, or just repost pics.. guess which I am chosing! ;)
Here is the first batch.
These are pics of the finger-down gloves that I made without a pattern! I was so proud of myself! They actually fit too! The wool is really scratchy so I don't wear them, but they are a great prototype.
More to come. :)
Monday, March 07, 2005
I have been very disappointed with the available options at livejournal & I think blogger is easier to figure out & adapt. I envision great things coming once I learn HTML (yeah, right).
Who knows, I may even update it regularly! LOL