Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Natural Born Killer

What the heck am I going to do now?!

My sweet, gentle little puppy has taken another life! She was acting funny this morning. Wanting to stay out longer than usual and then wanting to go right back out after coming in, when she usually wants to snuggle in the morning. I peeked outside and saw a fuzzy mass in the middle of the yard. Oh crap, I thought, she's gotten another squirrel.

Well, it wasn't a squirrel. It was a bird. A large bird. About a foot long from beak to tail. I'm really bad at identifying birds, but both honey & I are pretty sure it was a pheasant. Kris said it weighed about 6 pounds! And I think it was a female, because it didn't have the bright colors.

What the heck are we going to do?? Life in prison?

At least pheasants are legal to hunt in Michigan.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh wow. Yuck.

I wish I knew what to do but my dogs size makes them suited to quarry more like ants and spiders.

Maybe in time the wildlife will learn to steer clear of your yard?

Anonymous said...

If the pheasant isn't too mangled, you could have it for dinner. :) That's what my husband, the hunter, would say, anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about the wildlife. If your puppy is out regularly, they'll learn to avoid him.