I was so happy with the results I got on Saturday, that I went dye crazy on Sunday!
I wound my remaining 3 skeins of dk weight yarn into 12 skein that were approx. 1oz each and then dyed them using 12 different flavors of Kool Aid in order to make a color card and possibly knit a sampler. I ended up with 6 different shades of red/pink! I will have to scour my local stores to see if I can find any flavors I missed!
I also wound the sock yarn I dyed into a 2yd hank. This was the best picture I could get and it is still very difficult to see the variation, so below is a picture of the hanks dyed with those flavors... it's a little easier to make out the colors.
Now I just have to see if the stripes knit up properly! If so, I see many more skeins like this in the future! :)
I have to say that I am loving this technique for dyeing. In the past I've always used commercial acid dyes, that require lots of ventilation, gloves, goggles & masks or have added vinegar to the Kool Aid (as I was taught) and been very unhappy with the results! You still want to be careful not to breathe in the Kool Aid powder, but it is not nearly as toxic! Hey Kool Aid!