Wednesday, August 17, 2005

New York New York's A Wonderful Town (mostly)

Had a wonderful time in NYC this weekend. I will not bore you with a complete discription, but I will give a brief synoposis. :)

Friday we checked into our centrally located crap hotel. If you ever go to Manhattan, do yourself a favor & don't stay at the Park Central Hotel. Crap service, crap rooms w/outlets that didn't work! But it was only a block off Broadway & across the street from Carniege Hall.

Anywho, after checking into the craptel, we subwayed down to the fashion district so that I may indulge my yarn fetish at Habu. What a strange little shop, but oh what wonders lurk there! I ordered their sample packet, which should arrive in a few weeks. Since I was already buying something & was going to leave empty handed I simply had to find something else to tack onto the bill. :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
silk/steel blend

The yarn is actually much more brown in person, but this pic does show off the shimmer. Its 69% silk, 31% stainless steel. Very fine, laceweight yarn. Comes in 1/2oz. skeins (307 yds) for $9.10. I got 2 skeins, which I figured would be enough to make a lace shawl or shrug.. or at the very least a scarf! Now I just need to find or design the perfect pattern.

After yarn shopping we had a fabulous dinner & then went to see an excellent show.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Pillowman is a limited run show at the Booth Theater, which is a very intimate theater. It stars Billy Crudup & Jeff Goldblum. My husband & I were blown away. Excellent script, fantastic acting! Its a very Kafka-esqe black comedy. I wish I could have got a better shot of the sign, but you can see the coolness here.

Saturday was spent wandering Midtown & Greenwich Village.

Sunday, my honey's b-day, we saw the movie The Aristocrats (very sick, but funny) and then saw a matinee of Spamalot!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Honey & I being silly
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The show was a blast. Tim Curry played an excellent Tim Curry (as usual), David Hyde Pierce was wonderful, and Alan Tudyk (of Firefly fame) was fantabulous! Although the Lady of the Lake really stole the show. What an amazing voice! If you are a Monty Python fan you will love this play!

After that we had a phenomenal meal in Little Italy (prosciutto & melon, mmmm) & did some more wandering.

Sunday we wandered through Central Park.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That's about it. Had a great time, but certainly wouldn't want to live there. Too expensive, crowded, comercial, & polluted!

I will leave you with these two iconic images...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
never got to the real things,
so here they are in legos
:)


2 comments:

Denise said...

Too fun! Can't wait to see the stainless steel yarn in person...

Kate said...

oh god I'm so jealous that you got to see Pillowman....there are usually one or two shows a season for which I consider throwing the budget in the toilet and just taking off and seeing and that would be one of them.