Saturday, August 04, 2007

August Yarn Of The Month

It's that time of the month. I received my August sampling yesterday.




First off is Tara By GGH. This is 72% cotton/28% nylon. The yarn is a bit fuzzy and very springy! While fondling it I kept thinking this would make a super comfy robe, and at $7.35 a skein that isn't an unreasonable project.



Next is Organic Worsted Weight Columbia by Nature's Palette. This is 90% Organic Columbia Wool/10% Mohair. This is a very rough, scratchy yarn. Not suitable for garments, but I believe it would felt well. Although, at $20 a skein you are better off sticking with Knit Picks Wool of the Andes for your felting project.

I saw this review of the yarn that is of an entirely different opinion from mine, but I can't help think the reviewer was swayed by her liking for the manufacturer. I love that it's made with organic yarn and natural dyes. The color is beautiful, but I don't think the product justifies the cost.

Lana D'Oro By Cascade Yarns. 50% Alpaca/50% Wool. When I saw the Alpaca content I thought this would be softer than it is. I would say it's slightly rougher than merino. It has a nice luster and I believe would give excellent stitch definition. At $6 a skein, this is a good buy and would be great for a man's sweater.

Lastly, Ty-Dy By Knit One Crochet Too. 100% Cotton Yarn. Very soft, smooth yarn. Lovely colors. Nice twist, so there shouldn't be too much splitting. The $12.85 price tag is a little high for my taste, but it definitely is a high-quality yarn and I don't think the price is outrageous.

No comments: