Thursday, August 16, 2007

Stardust


Just got back from seeing Stardust. Fantastic! As some of you know, Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors and I've been anxiously awaiting this film's release for quite a while now. Unfortunately I had to delay seeing it because Kris was away with the circus last weekend. It was totally worth the wait!

Y'all know I'm not that eloquent when it comes to reviews (or anything for that matter), so bare with me.

The film is remarkably faithful to the novel, I suppose that's because the author wrote the screenplay. The casting was great, wonderful special effects and they managed to squeeze a lot of the plot in with out it feeling rushed (unlike the recent Harry Potter movies). Robert DeNiro was especially good... very different role for him! :)

This is the first of Gaiman's novels to be made into a movie (Neverwhere doesn't count, it was a tv movie before it was a book!) and I couldn't be more thrilled with the result. This is infinitely better than the film representations of his other works, especially MirrorMask. This gives me great hope for Beowulf, for which he co-wrote the screenplay.

This is a great film for the whole family. There is a bit of violence, but it is not at all graphic. I will be dragging my niece off to see this one. Mary, if you're reading this, you must go see it if you haven't already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally reading it, Kim. Even if I don't leave a comment, I keep up. (Nice job on the sweater for Autumn, btw. She's adorable.) I've seen the previews for Stardust and am curious about the adaptation. My Young Son has also seen them and been intrigued. We'll see if it comes to our local theater. If not, we'll catch it on video. Go Neil! (Poor guy thinks he's too famous, but he seems to be handling it with good grace and humor.) Thanks for your movie review.