Saturday, September 03, 2005

So Long Stornoway

You're beautiful, I love you & someday I will knit you, Stornoway, but today is not that day!

So, the trip to Threadbear got postponed due to gas prices & commitment conflics.. namely, my honey is stage managing a music fest all weekend where the promoters don't feel it necessary to feed the workers, so I have to keep running meals to him. Luckily the festival isn't too far from home, but it is a football Saturday in Ann Arbor & traffic is hell!

Anywho, the main excuse to drive to Threadbear was to get yarn for Stornoway. The yarn still needed to be got, this puppy is knit on size 2 needles & if I had any hope for finishing it by xmas I had to start it today. Since Threadbear was out of the picture, I drove to Knit A Round (where I still had a 20% coupon burning a hole in my wallet)! As luck would have it, Keely was working and she was able to rather quickly discern that I was indeed insane & that they didn't have anything that would work, at least not in the quantity that I would need & it would take at least a month to get in if I special ordered it. :(

Trying to salvage this pattern somehow I wandered around for another 30 minutes & then finally caved in & started looking at other patterns. After changing my mind 3 times I finally found this one...

This is Torgeir by Elsebeth Lavold, it's in Designer's Choice Book One: The Viking Collection which has a bunch of beautiful patterns! Its similar in feel to Stornoway, but is knit with dk instead of sport & is on US size 6. Can I get a Woo Hoo? Here's a closeup of the cables, sorry for the graininess (crappy camera, 'member?)...


The pattern calls for Silky Wool, but the owner told me they were out & weren't reordering. However she did help me find out the yardage of said yarn & determined how much I would need of this...

Debbie Bliss, oh how I love you! Your yarns are the yummiest! Knit A Round had all sixteen skeins I needed in the same dye lot & I was able to use my 20% coupon on the yarn, pattern book & needles! Whee!

I would like to send a special thanks to Keely for all her help and patience with this crazy lady! I'm sure she was glad to see me leave after pestering her for 2 hours. Seriously dude, you rock! :)

Ok, off to knit the puppy!

3 comments:

KnitNana said...

What a scrumtious knit that's going to be...navy merino! YUM!
(((hugs)))

Melanie said...

Woo hoo love debbie bliss merino. love debbie bliss. love cables, love sweater!

Joanne said...

That sweater looks really nice. I can't wait to see pics!

Sorry you did not make it to that superstore. It sounded so neat.