Friday, June 22, 2007

Casting On

When I finished the Embossed Leaves socks I realized that I had nothing else on the needles! GASP! I thus immediately cast-on the Wheat-Ear Cable Yoke that I am making for my niece. I initially did a bunch of math to convert the pattern to a 25" chest and cast-on. I knit about 5 rows & realized that a) I'm not getting correct gauge & b) the needles are really too large for the yarn.

I therefore ripped it out and started again. This time I am using the directions as written for the smallest size, but went down 2 needles sizes. Hallelujah! I Have GAUGE! And, no more math required, since little miss has a 25" chest, but her arms & torso are 18" long already! (Yes, she is going to be really tall!)

I'm a little over 1/2 done with the back and I'm really looking forward to getting to the cables (stockinette can be so boring)!

Not to be satisfied, and frankly feeling a bit inadequate after seeing mammoth stash photos over on ravelry (seriously, get on the list if you aren't already! Love, love, love this site!), I stopped by the LYS on the way home from work & picked up the following.

I am planning on making (surprise) socks out of both of these. I'm thinking of trying Breeze for my Sockapalooza pal with the Hempathy. I'm looking for a pattern that will be good for the Calmer. These will go to my mom & will be cast-on first, since her birthday is in a few weeks. This yarn is soft, very stretchy & (most importantly) will probably hold up to my dad's laundry practices.

1 comment:

Ruinwen said...

I can't imagine nothing on the needles LOL...your Wheat Ear is looking nice and congrats on getting gauge! :)

I'm interested in knowing how the hempathy works up. I've been hemming and hawing about making a sweater in it for a while.